Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Julie and John’s Excellent Adventure – Part 5 – Praha

Czech trains are a bit of a surprise after the luxury of Swiss and Austrian trains...........even in 1st class you see the rails when you "flush" the toilet!

We arrive in Prague where it is already dark and cold and have a short walk to Wenceslas Square where we meet up with Diane and Paul - friends of my parents from 40 years ago. They are kiwis currently living in England and will be joining us in Prague and Berlin - so i now have a tour group!

The apartment looks good on the surface - until we discover the little things - the "lift" only goes up to the 5th floor - we are on the 6th, the "free wifi" doesnt actually connect, my bed stops my bedroom door from closing (and after jamming it shut we mysteriously find it open upon returning the next day.....), we have 1 roll of toilet paper for 3 nights and 5 people..........not that I expected too much for the price and location, but I really hate false adverstising.

We head to my favourite goulash restaurant - beautifully spiced Italian style goulash with tender meat and best of all - served in an edible bread bowl

Now that's a Becherovka!
Next day we have free vouchers for the city hop-on hop-off bus tour so we do a loop around the city, then I leave the others to stop at the sights and head off to get a massage - awesome - a chiropractor and a massuese all in one - fixes my sore neck right up for only 16 euros and only makes me cry once. We revisit a small local place off the Old Town Square that a certain Italian once took me to and it is just as delicious. I remember that Prague is unfortunatley one of those places where you have to be wary of scammers - I buy a bottle of water on the way home and the sales girl tries to give me half the change I am owed by giving me lots of small coins. So disappointing that people try and rip off people who bring money into their city.


Kutna Hora - Kostnice bone church
Kutna Hora - Kostnice bone church

Next day we are up early and off into the countryside to Kutna Hora, famous for Kostnice - the church decorated with the bones of 40,000 victims of the 14thC plague and Hussite wars. Creepy, facsinating and definatley worth the trip. I would recommend heading straight back to the train station and saving yourself the extra 3km walk into the town




View over Old Town square


A friend of Diane's has recommended a restaurant on the Old Town Square with views of the Astronimcal Clock (which we finally see at the 7pm performace - I enjoyed my hot wine more) - we find the U Prince Hotel and head up to the 5th floor terrace - nicely heated against the cold night air and blankets provided - a beautiful view and delicious food - perfect date venue!

No comments:

Post a Comment